Light bulbs are a big consideration when trying to bring light into your home. You have a wide variety of choices when buying a bulb from a shop and each one has its own strengths and weaknesses. You’ve got the incandescent bulbs, CFL bulbs and LEDs. LED bulbs in are the number one choice when it comes to illuminating a home because of how efficient and effective they are. We’ll be exploring just how much LEDs have overtaken the two other bulbs.
Why You Should Pick LEDs
Each LED can be compared to a long lasting candle in any home, without the fire hazard of course. These light bulbs bring a lot to the table when compared to other types of light bulbs, namely the CFL and incandescent bulbs. LEDs are vastly superior to its predecessors in more ways than one. Safety, efficiency and longevity are just some of its advantages.
LEDs Are Non-Toxic
Both CFL and incandescent bulbs might seem like a great light source but they hide a sinister secret that not every home or business owner knows. These two types of lightbulbs work by shocking certain inert elements inside the bulb to produce a bright light, in these two light bulb’s case, one of these elements is vaporized mercury.
Both of them contain a small amount of mercury that can easily affect people’s health. Mercury inhalation can cause weakness, mental health issues, respiratory failure and kidney failure. Younger children are especially vulnerable.
LEDs on the other hand do not use mercury in any shape or form. LED light bulbs create light simply through the electrons in its semiconductor. No vaporized mercury is involved in the process so if you ever break one, you don’t have to raise a red alert in your home.
LEDs Last Much Much Longer
Incandescent and CFL bulbs can last from one thousand two hundred and eight thousand hours respectively. Sounds great doesn’t it? Not until you find out that an LED bulb would last longer than twenty five thousand hours. That’s twenty four times longer than the maximum lifespan of an incandescent bulb and three times that of a CFL.
The reason for the extremely long lifespan of an LED bulb is the fact that it has no filament in it. The filament in Incandescent and CFL bulbs are what limit their spans as these tend to burn out after extensive use. An LED uses a semiconductor that has far more resistance to burning out.
LEDs Rarely Overheat
Incandescent and CFL bulbs have a nasty tendency to overheat and can easily burst should the heat be too much for it. One way this happens is the heat causes the filament in the bulb starts melting through the base and rapidly letting the gases in the bulb escape. This causes the bulb to explode outward because of the change of pressure. This could easily cause fires and short out the rest of your electrical system.
Once again, the lack of a filament keeps LEDs from exploding the same way other types of bulbs explode. In fact, an LED bulb is cool to the touch when you touch one while it’s brightening your home unlike incandescent and CFL bulbs that will easily scorch your finger or hand, should you decide to touch one while its lit.
Call us today for FREE estimates